Reporting the Death of a Federal Annuitant

The National Association of Retired Federal Employees reports that there are three ways to contact OPM (Office of Personnel Management) to report the death of a federal employee or annuitant in addition to calling its toll-free Retirement Services Information number, 888-767-6738:

  1. Go online to, complete the information required, then click “send”;
  2. Send an email message to OPM at [email protected] and provide the information about the deceased annuitant and survivor;
  3. Write to OPM and enclose a completed Death Claim form. The forms are available online. If the retiree was under the Civil Service Retirement System, the form to use is SF 2800; if the retiree was under the Federal Employees Retirement System, use SF 3104. Any other forms and/or evidence required should be included. Also include a copy of the annuitant’s death certificate and a copy of the certificate of marriage to the widow or widower. Send all to: Office of Personnel Management Operations Center, Attention: Death Claims Section, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045.
Back to Top