What If I Die In Another Country

First, take some simple steps before you leave home. Leave a copy of your passport at home. Pack your reduced-size documents, a note stating what you want done with your remains, and your Memorial Society card, and take them with you.

Before going abroad, register your itinerary and emergency contacts with the State Department. You can do this online athttp://clevememorialsociety.org/. Provide emergency contacts on your passport application and put them in your passport, too. Carry with you the names and phone numbers of your doctor and dentist.

If death occurs overseas, the traveling companion should contact the American Embassy or Consulate immediately. Do this before contacting the family in the U.S. A cablegram is sent from the American Embassy overseas post directly to the next-of-kin with official notification of the death and an outline of options available, along with costs. These options vary widely from one country to the next. The Department of State can be reached at 202-647-5225 or 202-647-4000 after 10 p.m. EST. The Overseas Citizens Services operates 24-hours. Call 202-647-5226.

About admin

Back to Top